Learn to fly.
Drone Training Details.
DRONE Training Overview
Drone training here at Southern Prep is designed to move past hobby drone operation and be an introduction to aviation and flight training for our junior students.
We offer both an introductory course and an advanced course. Both courses include supervised flight training, classroom ground curriculum, and an introduction to the aviation industry spectrum. Introductory training will be completed with DJI’s Mavic Pro quadcopter and advanced training utilizes fixed wing RC aircraft.
Students will not only learn how to safely operate their drone but how to assimilate it into a flight environment to include designing a runway and traffic patterns.
Outside the classroom our drone students volunteer monthly at The Southern Museum of Flight in Birmingham, Al.
Aviation students are invited to attend community events, travel to airshows and tour airports and other aviation facilities to become familiar with and build their network across the aviation industry. Current aviaton students are assigned and fly under their “Scout” callsign.
- 9 weeks of initial classroom training.
- 9 weeks of advanced drone maneuvering, photography, videography and editing
- Pass written test covering all ground topics
- Complete an oral and hands-on evaluation covering both ground topics and flight scenarios
- Complete videography/ photography projects to include editing and presentation
- Courses offered from the freshman to senior High levels
- Must consistently hold a 90% or better in all core classes
- Advanced drones course requires successful completion of introduction to drone operation course
- Must own or be willing to purchase DJI’s Mavic Pro system
By the numbers:
Student to Teacher ratio
Currently enrolled students
Supporting our students’ growth and success